Software delivery itself is a very broad concept, and with the introduction of a new wave of test Automation, the demand for continuous testing tools has grown across organizations. In this article, let’s learn about the top 10 continuous testing tools in 2021.
First, we’ll understand the concept of Continuous testing. It is the technique of running automated tests as part of the software delivery pipeline to provide instant feedback on the business risks posed by a software release candidate. Continuous testing was first presented to shorten the time it took for developers to receive feedback by including development environment-triggered tests and more traditional developer/tester-triggered tests.
Continuous testing may be made even faster with the assistance of Continuous Testing Tools. Customers currently want high-quality software for their companies and personal usage. To meet this need, software firms are implementing Continuous Testing Tools as a standard practice to ensure that the software they bring to market can compete.
Top 10 Continuous Testing Tools in 2021
For DevOps, there are several open-source tools and testing frameworks. Organizations can use these frameworks to help with setup, integration, and delivery management. It assists them in saving time and automating the testing procedure. We’ve compiled a list of the Top 10 Continuous Testing Tools (2021). This ranking is based on the most popular frameworks, their ratings, industry acceptance, and trends.
The following is a list of the best Continuous Testing tools of 2021:
Jenkins is an open-source automation server that is free to use. It aids continuous integration and delivery by automating the portions of software development related to building, testing, and deploying. It’s a server-side application that runs on servlet containers like Apache Tomcat.
- Jenkins allows isolated changes to be tested even when the codebase is huge.
- It can do automated testing of builds.
- Jenkins will assist you in scaling up the system by adding nodes to spread the workload evenly across the nodes.
- It is capable of distributing work over several computers.
- It can also automate the process of deploying the software that has been built.
Jenkins is a Java-based framework for continuous testing. It features a simple setup method and supports several integrations.
2. Tricentis Tosca
Tricentis Tosca is a test automation tool that supports agile and DevOps techniques, accelerates continuous testing, including dashboards, analytics, and connectors.
Tricentis Tosca assists users in making test items more reusable.
To keep yourself updated with this most in-demand continuous testing tool, check out this Tosca Training.
- A low-code/no-code technique is used.
- It enables Model-based Test Automation, which is a script-free method that lowers maintenance costs.
- Functional testing, business intelligence testing, load testing, and risk-based testing are all included.
- It allows for distributed processing.
It supports a wide range of technologies and applications, including web, mobile, and API, as do many other test automation tools. Integration management, risk analysis, and distributed execution are all included in Tricentis Tosca.
Price: Tosca offers Free Trial
Docker is a set of DevOps tools. DevOps teams may use it to create, ship, and run distributed applications. Users may use this tool to construct apps from components and collaborate on them. This open-source platform allows you to manage an app’s containers as a single group. Docker is a series of platform-as-a-service solutions that distribute software in containers with the help of OS-level virtualization. Containers have features of self-contained, containing their software, libraries, and configuration files and communicating with one another over well-defined channels.
- Docker facilitates collaborative code development.
- Any application stack and continuous integration tool may be connected with a DevOps strategy created using Docker Enterprise.
- It runs on both Linux and Windows.
- It will work with any infrastructure, whether it’s on-premises, in the cloud, or both.
Docker Enterprise is a one-stop-shop for developing, sharing, and running container-based applications. Docker Enterprises is integrated with CI/CD, Developer Productivity Tooling, and End-to-End Kubernetes support are among the features.
Price: It starts with a free plan that includes one private repository. Organizational Docker Hub subscriptions begin at $7 per month for five private repositories and five similar forms.
Bamboo is a Continuous Integration (CI) and DevOps testing platform. It automates the build, test, and release processes all in one spot. Ducker, Git, SVN, Mercurial, and Amazon S3 buckets are among the technologies and languages it supports. Parallel tests, Docker agents, Permissions, Quarantine, Branch Detection, and Triggers are all capabilities and functions provided by Bamboo.
- Bamboo works with a variety of languages and technologies, including AWS CodeDeploy and Docker.
- You may use the dedicated agents’ functionality to perform essential builds and hotfixes.
- Changes to the code will be visible thanks to Bamboo.
- It’s compatible with HipChat.
- Features that allow for real-time cooperation.
Bamboo works with AWS CodeDeploy, Docker, and Amazon S3, to name a few. If you combine Bamboo, Bitbucket, and JIRA software, you’ll be able to track the whole development process, from planning to deployment.
Price: Bamboo provides a 30-day free trial. The Small Teams plan will set you back $10 for ten jobs. The project from the Growing Team will set you back $1100 for an unlimited number of jobs.
The most widely used automated testing tool is Selenium. It’s one of the best DevOps automated testing solutions, and it’s mainly built to enable browser automation testing. Selenium is a lightweight framework for online application testing. Without having much more knowledge about test scripting language, Selenium provides a playback tool for creating functional tests. It provides below common features and with proper Selenium training, you can understand how to implement them for a productive result.
- The record and playback functions are included in Selenium-IDE.
- It may be used to create bug reproduction scripts quickly.
- Selenium WebDriver is compatible with a variety of browsers and operating systems.
- You’ll be able to develop scalable scripts using Selenium WebDriver that can be spread across many environments.
- It works with a variety of programming languages.
Selenium provides a set of tools to aid in testing online applications, with Selenium WebDriver being one of the most prominent.
GitLab is built by GitLab Inc, it is mainly designed for the web-based DevOps lifecycle solution. GitLab assists in issue tracking, Git repository manager, wiki deployment pipeline capabilities, all under an open-source license and continuous integration. Ukrainian developers Dmytro Zaporozhets and Valery Sizov built the program.
- Project management capabilities are available on GitLab.
- It has excellent cooperation features. It will enable the teams to work together on code.
- Access Control, API, SSL Security, Monitoring, Projections, and Third-Party Integrations are all included.
- It also offers code review, code hosting, and social coding capabilities.
You may use this platform to review code, manage projects, and build software. The GitHub Marketplace is the place you go to browse and buy tools.
Price: GitLab provides a free plan that includes the fundamentals of GitHub. Pro ($7/month), Team ($9/user/month), and Enterprise are the other three levels available.
JIRA is used by approximately 50,000 clients for problem tracking and project management, according to Atlassian. JIRA Software is used by several companies like Nasa, Twitter, Audi, The Telegraph, etc. It is a commercial tool with a free trial period.
- Kanban boards will assist teams in producing the maximum amount of production.
- It offers tools and functions for sketching out the broad picture, discussing plans, and ensuring the roadmaps are linked to your team’s progress.
- Agile Reporting allows for real-time actionable reports.
- Customizable processes, configurable filters, Mobile Apps, and Rich APIs are among the capabilities available.
JIRA is a popular project management tool with capabilities such as limitless custom fields, defect management, sophisticated search, and comprehensive reporting, among others.
Price: It has a free unlimited plan for up to ten users. It offers two distinct programs, Standard and Premium, both of which include free trials.
8. Puppet Enterprise
DevOps, Security & Compliance, Configuration & Management, Cloud Management, and more areas are all covered by Puppet Enterprise. It will assist you in updating your cloud-native application’s continuous delivery methodology.
- The Puppet enterprise tool automates the software delivery process. This DevOps for testers tool aids developers in fast delivering outstanding software.
- Create a model of your whole environment and manage it.
- Visual workflows and intelligent orchestration
- Context-aware reporting in real-time
- Infrastructure should be defined and enforced regularly.
Version control, code review, automated testing, continuous integration, and automated deployment are among the DevOps techniques that the tool will assist teams in implementing.
Price: Puppet Enterprise provides a 10-node free trial of the software. If you need more than ten nodes, you can contact the business.
Kobiton is a mobile testing app that runs in the background. Scriptless Test Automation from Kobiton can generate DevOps-ready automated test scripts. Appium Anywhere, the company’s technology, will provide a solution for shaky test scripts.
- Kobiton integrates effortlessly with your DevOps platform as well as all major CI/CD systems.
- It’s an intelligent test automation platform that enables scriptless mobile test automation capabilities.
- It provides real-device testing capabilities, such as manual and automated testing on actual devices.
- Functional testing, visual testing, performance testing, device lab management, and other features are available on the Kobiton platform.
Run your manual test, and the tool’s intelligent test automation capability will generate automated test scripts that are DevOps-ready.
Price: Kobiton has plans ranging from $50 to $1400 for every team.
Apache JMeter is a free load testing software. Its purpose is to assess the effectiveness of websites. This load testing tool is compatible with DevOps.
- JMeter may be used to do load and performance tests on a variety of server types.
- The test plans for this load testing tool are stored in XML format, allowing users to create them with a text editor.
- The tool may be used to test apps in an automated and functional manner.
Concurrent sampling by several threads and simultaneous sampling of various functions by separate thread groups are possible with a complete multi-threading framework.
Tabular form of top 10 Continuous Testing Tools
|S.NO.||List of Tools||Features||Price|
|1.||Jenkins||Jenkins allows isolated changes to be tested even when the codebase is huge. It can do automated testing of builds.||Free|
|2.||Selenium||The record and playback functions are included in Selenium-IDE. It may be used to create bug reproduction scripts quickly.||Free|
|3.||Docker||Docker facilitates collaborative code development.It runs on both Linux and Windows.||Begin at $7 per month for five private repositories and five similar forms.|
|4.||Bamboo||It’s compatible with HipChat.Features that allow for real-time cooperation.||Bamboo provides a 30-day free trial.|
|5.||GitLab||Project management capabilities are available on GitLab.It also offers code review, code hosting, and social coding capabilities.||Pro ($7/month), Team ($9/user/month)|
|6.||JIRA||Agile Reporting allows for real-time actionable reports. Kanban boards will assist teams in producing the maximum amount of production.||Free|
|7.||Tricentis Tosca||A low-code/no-code technique is used. It allows for distributed processing.||Free|
|8.||Puppet enterprise||Visual workflows and intelligent orchestration.Context-aware reporting in real-time.||10-node free trial of the software.|
|9.||Kobiton||It’s an intelligent test automation platform that enables scriptless mobile test automation capabilities. It provides real-device testing capabilities, such as manual and automated testing on actual devices.||Plans ranging from $50 to $1400 for every team.|
|10.||JMeter||JMeter may be used to do load and performance tests on a variety of server types. The tool may be used to test apps in an automated and functional manner.||Free|
In general, continuous testing entails testing frequently and early. Continuous testing is advantageous in many ways, but it may also be challenging. So, before implementing this testing method in your company, make sure you have a strong strategy in place.
Continuous testing tools should not only fulfill your current requirements but also consider future trends and enhancements. Basic optimization, learning curve, supported programming languages, continuous testing features, technical compatibility, interaction with other CI tools, and integration with your organization’s complete CI/CD ecosystem are essential characteristics to look for in a good product.
Pradeep Kasipuri is tech-savvy, currently working as Digital Marketer and content contributor at mindmajix.com. He writes articles on various tech spaces – Software Testing, Business Intelligence, Cloud, Project Management, Document Management etc. Connect with him via LinkedIn.