While developing modern applications, the developers will come across multiple apps that need to be updated constantly to ensure that they can stand up to the expectations of modern users and development standards. While testing these apps, the application developers have to implement additional parameters to ensure stable functioning irrespective of multiple updates. In this process, the app developers can benefit a lot from the integration of regression testing and automation testing. Both of these processes will have a critical role in uplifting the efficiency and quality of the development project. Using this process, it is also possible to quickly remove bugs before they can affect the other elements of the app.
So, with this article, we are going to discuss some of the most effective tips that can improve the efficiency and quality of the regression test cases. We will also understand how the application developers can benefit from the integration of regression testing with automation testing.
Exploring Regression Testing and How it Benefits from Test Automation
While working with certain applications like banking apps, e-commerce apps, and health apps, the developers have to constantly add new features to meet the end-user demands and ensure the stability of the current app standards. However, in certain scenarios, the new additions can harm the already existing elements of the app. Due to these errors, the application developers will witness anomalies in the test reports like false positives and false negatives. So, by implementing regression testing, the app testers will not only be able to verify the functioning of the new elements but also ensure that they do not harm the already existing elements.
Regression testing is a repetitive process which means that the app developers have to re-run these test cases every time there is any update to the app infrastructure. Therefore regression testing can massively benefit with the integration of test automation. This is because, with this advanced process, the system can automatically run the test instances using pre-written testing parameters. Using these parameters, the system can emulate human interactions and communications while using the app. Based on this usage, the test environment will generate a detailed report showing the usability and stability of the app.
By using test automation with regression testing, the application developers can benefit the testing environment in the following ways:
- Since the system will automatically run the regression test instances, the app developers and testers can focus on other creative areas of the project. For instance, they can come up with new features that can be rolled out in the future app update.
- Moreover, the system can run the automated regression test cases 24 hours round the clock even on non-business days. So, this process can massively push the efficiency of the overall testing environment.
- While using automation testing for executing regression test cases, the app developers can also integrate additional tools and plugins that will help improve the quality of the application undergoing the testing process.
- Automation testing also helps improve the resource efficiency of the overall testing environment. This is because it will eliminate the expenses of having an on-site human testing team.
Useful Tips for Regression Testing
Now, let us analyze some of the most useful tips that will have a massive role in improving the efficiency of the regression test cases:
Integration of Automation Testing
As we already mentioned earlier, regression testing is a repetitive process and needs to be done after every app update. So, by using automation testing for running the regression test cases, the app developers can save a lot of company time and resources.
Integration of Cloud Testing
Regression testing requires the integration of real device testing as the functionality of an app massively relies on the physical parameters of a device. However, the process of setting up and maintaining a physical device lab is hectic and expensive. Instead, the developers can use AI-powered test orchestration and test execution platforms like LambdaTest to achieve similar test results using remote servers. It also provides access to hundreds of legacy devices along with the execution of test cases from anywhere around the globe.
Use of Parallel Testing
While performing regression testing, the app developers have to verify the functioning of thousands of elements on the application. If executed individually, it would take several months to complete even with automation testing. So, the app developers can use parallel testing to initiate thousands of regression test instances using different configurations and on different machines at the same time.
Sort Test Cases By Priority
Developers must remember that all the test cases do not have the same priority in the functioning of the core application infrastructure. So, it is very important to prioritize the test cases before beginning the regression testing. This process will allow the app developers to ensure that at least the core infrastructure of the application is functional irrespective of all issues.
Setting Up the Test Environment
Setting up the test environment has a critical role in ensuring the efficiency of the regression test cases in the long run. So, the app developers must integrate all the required drivers for browser instances, and update the automation testing frameworks, and other dependencies. Downloading the software from the official website prevents privacy issues.
Use of Version Control
Various version control systems like Git help the developers to track changes in the test script and also the test data system. The benefit of this process is that it helps in maintaining and rolling back to the previous version in case it is necessary. Version control systems also allow the app developers to keep track of all the stable instances and ensure that bugs and errors do not hamper the source code.
Executing Baseline Testing
The testers must perform a comprehensive regression test suite before releasing the app to the end users. Using this process, they can establish a baseline of the expected behavior for the application. So in future instances, the developers can simply compare the test results with this benchmark to find out errors or performance lags.
Properly Managing the Test Data
It is very important for the application developers to properly maintain the test data as it has a crucial role in improving the reusability of the regression test cases. A very important process is adopting page object models to separate the test data from the test script. This will allow the application developers to automatically generate the required random data sets without creating individual test scripts for every regression testing instance.
Tracking the Defects
By using a defect tracking system, the developers can log and monitor issues found in regression testing. This process will help to prioritize removing the bugs during the troubleshooting and debugging process.
Test Report Analysis
After executing the regression test cases, the developers must analyze the test reports to find out bugs and errors. They can also benefit a lot by integrating test management tools like JUnit and TestNG. Certain cloud platforms like LambdaTest natively generate highly comprehensive test reports consisting of activity logs, screenshots, and videos.
Selecting the Regression Test Cases
While implementing regression testing, the application developers must choose the app elements that have gone through the change or are affected by the change. This will help to save a lot of time and effort in a testing process than running the entire test suit. Creating a test plan before executing regression test cases will also benefit in properly preparing the environment for selective regression testing
Running Parameterised Tests
The application developers can parameterize their regression test cases as it will cover various inputs efficiently. The major benefit of this process is that it reduces the total number of duplicate test cases while increasing the overall test coverage for the application undergoing the development process.
LambdaTest and How It Benefits Regression Testing
Cloud platforms like LambdaTest can critically improve the efficiency and quality of automated regression test cases. For instance, the developers can execute all the test instances on thousands of real devices through the LambdaTest real device testing cloud. The app developers can access these devices through the Internet using remote servers. LambdaTest also combines the test reports from multiple real devices along with emulators to boost the accuracy of the test results.
By integrating LambdaTest with automated regression testing, the application testers can also use the following benefits:
- While creating the test scripts for executing automated regression testing, app developers can use various well-known frameworks like Selenium, Appium, Cypress, and even Playwright. In case the application developers use the Selenium WebDriver for the test case execution process, they can run it on more than 3000 browser instances at the same time.
- Since LambdaTest provides native support for executing automated regression testing, the developers can easily initiate the testing process by using the following code snippet:
- Using parallel test execution, the app developers can run thousands of different regression test instances on multiple device combinations and machines at the same time.
- LambdaTest also maintains a real-time activity log to keep track of all the successful, running, and failed test instances. The developers can also refer to this data to avoid previously known errors in future test cases.
- After executing the test instances, LambdaTest will generate a detailed test report that consists of various important information like screenshots and videos. These data are automatically captured during the test execution process.
- The official website of LambdaTest also provides elaborate documentation about various tools and features. It explains this information in simple language and by using sample test cases. LambdaTest also has an elaborate support system consisting of over-the-phone support, live chat, and even a mailing feature. So, the testers can avail all of this info whenever they are stuck with any feature of this platform. To facilitate the discussion of the new automation developers and testers, LambdaTest also has an open-source community.
The Conclusive Views
All the tips that we discussed in this article will boost the efficiency of the regression test cases several times. The integration of regression testing with automation testing is a necessity as automation testing will continue to become one of the most dominant factors in the future. To further adapt to the changing development market, the developer should learn all the new trends and innovations in the segment of test automation. It is also a good idea to constantly monitor the target audience and understand their requirements regarding the app. These factors will play a crucial role in expanding the possible user base and creating a positive image for the brand.