Google just announced a connector product that will fight head-to-head with the traditional Exchange/BES corporate configurations that most mid- to large-size companies rely on for their email, contacts and calendar sync.
Google Apps Connector for BES is a solution that allows you to get “push sync” of your Google Apps contacts, calendar and email to the native fields on your BlackBerry. This is big because it’s like getting the reliable push sync of BES without having to invest in Microsoft Exchange.
Here’s what you get with this new connector solution by Google:
- Contacts in Gmail are automatically synchronized with BlackBerry address book.
- View your Google Calendar in your BlackBerry calendar, with one-way synchronization from Google Calendar to your BlackBerry.
- Messages sent to your Gmail inbox are pushed to your BlackBerry within 60 seconds.
- Emails read/deleted on your BlackBerry are marked as read/deleted in Gmail, and vice-versa.
- Synchronize BlackBerry folders with labels in Gmail.
- Search for email addresses and phone numbers of other users on your company domain.
Users of CompanionLink software are in for a real treat. With CompanionLink, you can plug into this fancy push sync system even if you use desktop software like ACT! by Sage, Microsoft Outlook, Lotus Notes, GroupWise, or Palm Desktop.
CompanionLink will sync your desktop software with your Google Apps account. Once data is in the Google Apps account, the Google Apps Connector for BES along with your BES will do the rest.
Essentially, you can use your desktop software as part of your enterprise-level push sync solution for as low as $29.95.