Google is one of the leading techno giants of the 21st century. Among all the gadgets and digital tools offered by Google, Android is considered its revolutionary offering that has revolutionized our lives by making them smarter.
Considering the global popularity and usage of Android, many individuals have chosen to pursue an Android development career path. According to a report by Zippia, more than 10,569 android developers are currently working in the United States.
If you also want to start your career as an Android developer, you need to collect all the prerequisites and apply with a professional resume for android developer jobs.
To help you kickstart your android developer career journey, we are listing some practical guidelines. Though there are numerous skills for an Android developer (e.g Flutter development), these skills will kickstart your career as an Android developer. You can follow these steps to become an android developer in 2022:
Step 1- Get a Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science
The first step to start your career as an Android developer is getting a bachelor’s degree in computer science. Many individuals also start their professional careers by getting a diploma. However, recruiters prioritize a bachelor’s degree more than a diploma.
To get a computer science bachelor’s degree in the United States, you can enroll in any of these universities:
- Carnegie Mellon University | Pittsburgh, PA
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology | Cambridge, MA
- Stanford University | Stanford, CA
- University of California- Berkeley | Berkeley, CA
- University of Illinois- Urbana- Champaign | Urbana, IL
- Cornell University | Ithaca, NY
- University of Washington | Seattle, WA
- Georgia Institute of Technology | Atlanta, GA
- Princeton University | Princeton, NJ
- University of Texas- Austin | Austin. TX
Step 2- Upgrade Your Development Skills
While pursuing the degree course, you need to upgrade your development skills and learn modern development methodologies. Take a look at the technical skills you will require to get an Android development job in 2022:
- SDK Concepts
- Material Design
- Android Studio
- Backend Programming Skills
Though there are numerous skills for an Android developer, these skills will kickstart your career as an Android developer.
Step 3- Get a Specialized Certification of Android Development
After getting a bachelor’s degree or in the final year of your degree course, we recommend getting a specialized certification in Android development. A specialized certificate will make you stand apart from the crowd of traditional degree-holding applicants and will help you beat your competitors during the recruitment process.
Step 4- Build a Professional Android Developer Resume
A degree and certificate will make you eligible for an Android developer position, but you can not apply for a job without a professional Android developer resume. Hence, we recommend building a professional Android developer resume containing your skills and project details. You can follow these guidelines to build an impeccable Android developer resume:
- Outline your resume
- Make separate sections with clear heading names like Skills, Projects, Education, etc.
- Mention your details in bullet points
- Highlight essential information
- Write an engaging resume summary
- Proofread before applying
You can use a reverse chronological resume format to build your Android developer resume as an entry-level applicant.
Step 5- Apply For an Internship
After getting a degree, specialized certificate, and building a job-winning Android developer resume, you can apply for an internship. Of course, you can also apply for a full-time job, but an internship will make your base strong and prepare you to face all the hurdles of a full-time job. Due to this, we recommend joining an internship before applying for a full-time job. Usually, people get a full-time job in the company they join as interns.
Here are the key points of this article in a concise form for a quick look:
- Get a bachelor’s degree in computer science
- Upgrade your developer skills and learn modern development methodologies
- Get a specialized certification in ANdroid development to beat your competitors
- Build a highly professional job-winning Android developer resume
- Apply for an internship before applying for a job to strengthen your professional base
You can follow these guidelines to kickstart your career as an Android developer in 2022 without any hurdle. However, you need to remember that upgrading your skills with time and new technologies is the only way to grow effectively as an Android developer in this highly competitive era.