Setup Guide - Sync webOS via USB
If this is your first time using CompanionLink, we recommend you take a minute and review our Sync 101 page. It contains helpful information about how to prepare a proper sync environment to minimize potential problems.
Before proceeding, please make a backup of your database.
Setup CompanionLink on your PC
- Download and install CompanionLink if you have not already done so. CompanionLink Downloads
- Run "CompanionLink Setup" from your desktop or start menu.
- Choose "webOS device" from the first drop-down option (Select the device you want to sync with...).
- Select "Direct USB Sync" from second drop-down option (Select your sync method...).
- Select your contact manager from third drop-down option (Select your PC or web database...).
- The Contact Manager Settings should automatically open.
- Select the database you wish to synchronize with (if applicable). How to configure your contact manager.
- OPTIONAL: Configure advanced settings.
Setup CL USB Sync on your webOS device
- Install CL USB Sync from the Palm App Catalog (Download Link).
- Open the app and follow the onscreen instructions.
How to sync
- Open the CL USB Sync app on your device, and tap Sync.
- Ensure CompanionLink is running on your PC, then connect your webOS device to your computer with the USB cable and set the device to "USB Drive" mode.
- The sync should start automatically on the PC, but you may also click the sync button within CompanionLink to manually initiate the sync.
- After CompanionLink finishes the synchronization on the PC, safely remove the device, then tap sync once more in the CL USB Sync app to complete the synchronization process.
NOTE: If you are unable to synchronize, please review our Troubleshooting Guide.
Install CL USB Sync on your webOS device
You can download the CL USB Sync app for free from the App Catalog on your device. Simply search for "CL USB Sync". You can also install this app remotely from your PC - Download Link
Once installed, follow the onscreen instructions.
The 14-day trial software is fully functional. To register your paid license, enter the name and email address you used to purchase the software in the CompanionLink registration window (File > Register).
For more information, view full registration instructions.
Back up your data
CompanionLink cannot be held responsible for any data corruption or data loss that may occur in conjunction with our software. CompanionLink highly recommends backing up your PC database before performing a sync and on a regular basis.
1. Open the CompanionLink Setup icon from your desktop or start menu. The first time you open CompanionLink the screen will appear as below:
2. In the first dropdown please select Palm Pre/Pixi.
3. In the second dropdown please select Direct USB sync.
4. There will be a dialog that describes the USB sync, press next. There is a box labeled "Automatically synchronize when device connects". We recommend you leave this checked unless you plan to copy media or other files to your device when connected. Press Finish when done here.
5. In the third dropdown please select the database you wish to sync with.
Configuring your database settings
You will now need to configure CompanionLink with the database you wish to sync with. Each contact manager works a bit differently.
Advanced settings and other options
These settings are optional, but you may want to take a look at these if this is your first sync. More info about advanced settings.
Perform a Sync
1. On the device, press the sync button in the CL USB Sync App. This prepares the data on the device for syncing with the PC.
2. When CL USB Sync finishes, connect your device to your PC and enter USB drive mode on the device. CompanionLink should begin the synchronization process automatically.
NOTE: If you left the "Automatically synchronize when device connects" unchecked in CompanionLink, you will need to manually click the Sync button within CompanionLink on your PC. This will move data between the device and the PC.
3. After CompanionLink finishes syncing, safely remove/disconnect your device from your PC. Then, in CL USB Sync, press the sync button again. This prepares new data from the PC for viewing on your device.
If you are unable to synchronize, please review our Troubleshooting Guide.