How to Make a Backup of Outlook Data
From CompanionLink Support
CompanionLink always recommends having a backup of your data. Use the following guides to Backup Outlook.
Backup Full PST for Outlook 365, 2021, 2019, 2016, 2013, and 2010
- In Outlook click on File > Info > Account Settings. Click the Account Settings drop-down that appears.
- Select the Data Files Tab and Click on the .PST file you wish to back up.
- Select the Open File icon located above the listed PST file.
- Minimize the window that displays containing the PST file.
- Close the "Account Settings" window.
- Completely close the Outlook application. (Note: It may take up to a minute for the program to close completely).
- It is now safe to copy the PST File to a Backup Location of your choosing.
- Now right click on the file and select "Copy". (There maybe a delay depending on the size of the file before you can Paste file to your selected backup location).
- Browse to the Backup Location that you have selected to store the backup and then Right Click & Paste the file.
Backup Full PST for Outlook 2007 and 2003
- In Outlook click on File > Data File Management.
- Select the PST file you want and click Open Folder.
- Minimize the window that displays containing the PST file. Completely close the Outlook application.
- Return to the Window with the PST file. It is now safe to copy the PST File and paste it to a safe location you keep your backup files.
Backup specific folders from the Outlook Data File
- Open Outlook > Select “File” > Select “Open & Export” > Select “Import/Export”
- Select “Export to a file” > Click Next
- Select your Data File and select the specific folder to backup, IE Contacts, Calendar, Tasks, etc. (Make sure “Include subfolders” is checked).
- Click Next
- Name (we recommend adding a date to the file name) and save the PST file to a location of your choosing > Click Finish.
- Note: Repeat these steps for any other specific folder type you want to backup.
Restore your Outlook Data
- Open Outlook > File > Info > Account Settings
- Select the "Data Files" tab > Select "Add" > Select "Outlook data file (.pst) > Name and save the file.
- Open Outlook > File > Open & Export > Import/Export.
- Select "Import from another program or file" > Select "Outlook Data File (.pst)"
- Browse and select the .pst file > Select "Next"
- Under "Import items into the same folder in" select the pst file > Select Finish