Configuring Advanced Settings for ACT!
This page covers the Advanced settings for ACT!.
Configuring Advanced settings for ACT!
Once you have configured CompanionLink to sync with ACT!, you can select Advanced to access the settings tabs below.
- Note: Advanced settings are preconfigured for optimal settings and do not necessarily need to be altered.
- Personal Category - This option allows you to specify if the personal category should or should not be synchronized. Turn this option OFF, if you do not want to synchronize personal records from ACT!. Any records categorized as "Personal" will not sync. Otherwise, if you want all records from ACT! to sync, leave this option selected.
- Startup - Automatically run CompanionLink when the computer boots.
- Attachments - By default this option is turned OFF. Turn this option on to synchronize attachments linked to records in ACT!.
- Duplicates - This option checks for duplicate records as the sync occurs.
- Calendar Alarms - This option allows to specify whether or not to synchronize alarms.
- Date Range - By default this option is set to 90 days. This means the sync will only synchronize the last 90 days of historical calendar events. You can change the settings to the amount of past days you wish to sync. This option only refers to past days, future events will always sync.
- Attendees - This option allows you to synchronize the attendees list from ACT! meeting invitations.
- This option does not exist for Google syncs.
- Completed Records - By default this option is turned OFF. With the option off, if a task or event is marked as completed in ACT!, the task\event will not synchronize. Turning this option on will synchronize "All" completed records.
- Use this option to select the Calendar Format you wish to see on your device.
- These are examples of how each calendar format will appear. These examples represents the subject line of the calendar event.
- This option will abbreviate the ACT! activity types to one character in the calendar format above. (e.g. Meeting = M)
- These represent the Activity Types from ACT!
- This option allows you to map each ACT! Activity Type to sync to either Calendar, Tasks, or Do Not Synchronize.
- This option allows you to either sync or not sync untimed\timeless events from ACT!
- The option to sync Opportunities only exists in CompanionLink Professional.
- This options allows you to select a field in ACT! that CompanionLink will use to create categories on the device. By default this field is set to ID/Status. This will use the values in the ID/Status field in ACT! to create categories when syncing between ACT! and your device.
Most ACT! contact fields are mapped by default. Usually, field mapping is only needed if you have custom fields or need a specific field to be mapped.
- The fields on the left that cannot be changed, are the Device fields.
- The fields on the right in the drop-down boxes are ACT! fields.
- This option allows you to sync Notes, History, Attachment Names, User Fields and Web Info Links from ACT! Contacts.
- This option allows you to set the maximum number of Notes and/or History you want to sync for each contact.
- The maximum value is 25.
If you are syncing to DejaOffice, History and User fields should sync via the Applications tab and Field Mapping. Do not enable it in both places.
- 3. This option allows you to prevent Act! History items related to Field Changes and Record Deletes from Syncing. This can make for quicker sync if you have a large Act! History.
- Secondary Contacts - This options allows you to sync ACT! secondary contacts to the device.
- Notice: Secondary contacts will sync to the device as individual contacts.
- Act! Companies - This option allows you to sync the Company portion in ACT!
- This option will format phone number using US Format. (e.g. (503) 243-5200)
- This option will include extension numbers, behind the phone number, separated by "symbol to use for extension". (e.g. (503) 243-5200;340)
- This option will delete the leading 0 from any phone number.
- This option will sync all country codes with phone numbers. With the option OFF the sync will sync all country code except the local country code.
- This option lets you set what symbol is used for extensions. Note: The correct symbol has to be used for specific phones to be able to dial extensions (e.g. iPhone and Android uses ; (semicolon))
- This should be set to the local country code. (e.g. US =1; UK = 44)
- Data Types to Sync - This option allows you to select which data types to synchronize. (i.e. Contacts, Calendar, Task, Notes, Histories)
- Sync Directions - This option allows you to set the sync direction. (i.e. ACT! to Device; Device to ACT!; Sync both ways)
- Wipe Options - This option will wipe/delete all the Device data first, then reload the Device using ACT! Data.
- Deletion Preferences - This option allows you to choose a Primary Database for deletions.
- If you select ACT! as your primary database, and you delete content on your device the content would remain in ACT!.
- If you select the Device as the Primary Database, and you delete content on your ACT! the content would remain in the Device.
- If you select Records Deleted in Either will be synchronized, content deleted in either ACT! or the Device will be deleted on the other side.
- By default this option is set as "ACT! is primary..." which will prevent the sync from deleting any items deleted on the device in ACT!. This is usually recommended, to protect the PC database from deletions. New and/or modified records will still synchronize. You can change the settings to synchronize deleted records in both directions if desired.
- Always use caution with any wipe option. We always recommend you have a copy of your data backed up.
- 5. Handling Conflicts - This option allows you to set preferences for conflicts. If a record is changed on both ACT! and the device, you can set one to override the other, create a duplicate, or keep the latest change. This option is only relevant an a record has been modified on both ACT! and the device before a sync has taken place.
- 6. Reread Options - The reread options are typically used in troubleshooting and should not need to be changed.
By default CompanionLink will automatically fill in the most recently opened database.
To find the Current Act! Database and Username, use the follow these steps:
- Open Act!
- Select Help on the tool bar at the top
- Select About at the bottom
- Select Database Information.
- Ensure sure that the Act! database location and username, matches the database and username settings in CompanionLink.
- This option syncs all of your ACT! contacts in the database.
- This option lets you select specific groups from ACT! to sync.
- This option allows you to specify which group new contacts from the Device will be added to in ACT!.
- In some cases multiple users may be utilizing the same ACT! Database. In this field you can confirm which user you wish for the incoming records to be associated with.
- If you wish to sync all records from ACT! to your device you would select this option.
- If you wish to sync records for specific users, including only your own you can select this option then choose which users information you would like to be synced.
1. Auto Sync:
- Realtime - This option detects changes added to the selected Database and adds them to\from the Device within a few seconds.
- Every "" - This option sets an auto sync at an interval of your choosing.
- Daily "" - This option sets an auto sync for once a day at the selected time.
- Manual - This option allows you to control the syncs manually.
2. Language - This option allows you to set CompanionLink to a different language.
- For the language change to take full effect you many need to close and reopen CompanionLink.
3. Sync Time - This option allows you to further specify when the selected auto sync can take place.