CompanionLink only synchronizes Salesforce contacts that you own
Often, Salesforce users can view contacts that are owned by other users within the same organization.
CompanionLink only synchronizes contacts that belong to the Salesforce user specified in the CompanionLink setup wizard, under the Salesforce Settings tab. So, it's often the case that you can see more contacts in Salesforce than will actually synchronize.
NOTE: In Salesforce, you can view only contacts that you own by doing the following:
- In Salesforce, go to Contacts, then select Create new view.
- Give the view a unique name ("My contacts" is a good choice), then set Filter by owner to My Contacts.
- Save the view.
- Select "My contacts" in the View menu, to view only contacts that you own.
Company field only syncs to Salesforce if the company already exists as a Salesforce Account
Salesforce has two important features here:
a) Salesforce does not have a built-in Company field. In Salesforce, companies are instead regarded as accounts.
b) In order to attach an account name to a contact in Salesforce, the account has to first exist in the Salesforce "Accounts" application.
Due to these features of Salesforce, CompanionLink works the following way:
- If a contact on your device has a company name that matches a Salesforce account name, then that contact's company will sync with the Salesforce contact field "Account Name".
- If a contact on your device has a company name that does NOT match a Salesforce account name, then that contact's company will NOT sync to Salesforce.
NOTE: The reason for this is to avoid polluting your Salesforce account list with (potentially) thousands of unwanted entries.