The connection between your handheld and the desktop could not be establishedSymptoms:
- Synching with a Palm operating system handheld.
- Error message: 'The connection between your handheld and the desktop could not be established.'
This is a generic Palm error indicating that your handheld is unable to communicate with your PC.
1. Make sure that Hotsync Manager is running. If it is running, you will see a red and blue circular icon with arrows in the lower right-hand corner of your computer desktop by the clock. If it is not there, this is most likely the cause of the problem.
2. Right-click the Hotsync Manager icon in the lower right-hand corner of your computer screen. At the top of the menu that opens, you should see some Local options. You may see Local, Local Serial and/or Local USB. Make sure that the appropriate option for your handheld is checked.
3. If you are using a USB connection, plug and replug the handheld and then retry the sync.
4. Reboot and retry the sync.
5. Soft-reset the handheld by inserting a paperclip into the Reset hole on the back then retry the sync. (Note: This will not erase your data.)
6. Open CompanionLink Setup, choose File and Reset Palm Hotsync Settings. (If you do not have this option, press Ctrl-Shift-R instead.) This will take CompanionLink out of the synching process so that you are now synching solely between the Palm and the Palm Desktop. Retry the sync.
If you still cannot sync, you will need to contact Palm at (800)881-7256 and let them know that your Palm will not sync to the Palm Desktop and what the error is that you are receiving.