BlackBerry Classic PIN does not show in CompanionLink when using BlackBerry Desktop Software 6.x or higher
For BlackBerry Playbook OS and BlackBerry 10 OS, please refer to other pages.
In some circumstances, such as upgrading to a new BlackBerry device, CompanionLink may not recognize your new BlackBerry PIN. The following steps should allow you to resolve this issue:
NOTE: This article only applies if you use BlackBerry Desktop Software 6 or higher. For instructions when using BlackBerry Desktop Manager 5.x or lower, please click here.
- Connect the BlackBerry to your PC with a USB cable
- Open the Blackberry Desktop Software
- Click the Applications button and wait for the Applications screen to finish load completely
- Exit and then re-open CompanionLink Setup.
This issue is the result of BlackBerry Desktop Software not writing the device ID file that we use to detect the device. Visiting the Applications screen in BlackBerry Desktop Software should force it to update this file.
If the BlackBerry PIN still does not appear in CompanionLink Setup:
- From Blackberry Desktop Software, open the Tools menu (top-left corner), then select Desktop Options
- Under "Store organizer data to" you will see a file path. Copy this file path, excluding the last portion (\BlackBerry Desktop).
For example, if the complete path is:
C:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Desktop
You need to copy:
C:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion
- Click OK and Close the Blackberry Desktop Software
- Click your Start button, in the Search/Run bar paste or type the file path you copied from the Blackberry Desktop Manger, then press Enter
- In this folder you will see a folder named Blackberry; open this
- In this folder you should see a folder named Loader History; delete this folder then close the window
- Open Blackberry Desktop Software, then connect your Blackberry
- Wait for the BlackBerry Desktop Software to display the Blackberry PIN at the bottom, then repeat the set of steps at the beginning of this guide
If the BlackBerry PIN still does not appear in CompanionLink Setup after clearing the Loader History folder:
- From Blackberry Desktop Software, create a full back-up of your BlackBerry
- After the back-up is complete, open the Tools menu (top-left corner), then select Desktop Options
- Click "Restore default settings...", select "desktop options and settings", then click Restore, then OK
- Repeat the set of steps at the beginning of this guide